Maintaining hedges is one of the most daunting gardening tasks, especially so if you do not own the right tool. If you are still spending hours snipping at unruly hedges in your yard using a manual clipper or you are still mixing fuel and dealing with harmful fumes from your gas powered hedge trimmers, it is time to switch to the best electric hedge trimmer.
Corded electric hedge trimmers are inexpensive, require minimal maintenance and are better for the environment. However, with so many options available, choosing a trimmer that is best for you can be difficult. Our detailed review of the best electric hedge trimmer is here to help!
- Best Electric Hedge Trimmer
- 1. Best small electric hedge trimmer – BLACK+DECKER BEHT200 [18 inch 3.5 amp]
- 2. Best corded electric hedge trimmer – Greenworks 2200102 [22 inch 4 amp]
- 3. Best rated electric hedge trimmer – Toro 51490 [22 inch 4 amp]
- 4. Best lightweight electric hedge trimmer – Scotts Outdoor Power Tools HT10020S [20 inch 3.2 amp]
- 5. Best long reach electric hedge trimmer – Earthwise CVPH43018 [18 inch 4.5 amp]
- 6. Best electric telescoping pole hedge Trimmer – Sun Joe SJH902E [21inch 4 amp]
- 7. Best Rotating Handle electric hedge trimmer – BLACK+DECKER HH2455 [24 inch 3.3 amp]
- 8. Pole and Portable electric hedge trimmer – GARCARE [20 inch 4.8 amp]
- Best electric hedge trimmer buying guide
- A few frequently asked questions
Best Electric Hedge Trimmer
1. Best small electric hedge trimmer – BLACK+DECKER BEHT200 [18 inch 3.5 amp]
The Black+Decker BEHT200 is a small electric hedge trimmer. However, do not let the size fool you to underestimate the power of this little guy. The 18-inch dual action hardened steel blades backed by a powerful 3.5 Amp motor trim branches upto 5/8 inches thick with a considerably reduced vibration resulting in less user fatigue. This is a corded electric hedge trimmer that is quiet and lets you work without any limits on the runtime.
Its lightweight and compact design with full wrap around handle are formulated with user comfort in mind so you can get the job done with minimal efforts. This corded hedge trimmer is equipped with a cord retention station that makes it easier to use at various angles without accidental unplugging.Check Price in Amazon
- Lightweight electric hedge trimmer – weighing in at just 5.7 pounds.
- Powerful 3.5 Amp motor.
- 18-inch dual action hardened steel blades.
- Cord retention station prevents accidental unplugging at various cutting angles.
- Compact design with wrap around handle for user comfort.
- Unlimited runtime and powerful motor get the job done – faster.
- Sharp hardened steel blades easily trim branches upto 5/8 inch thick.
- Backed by Black+Decker’s 2 year limited warranty.
- Not suited for branches thicker than 5/8 inch
This is an inexpensive, low on maintenance and an efficient upgrade over manual clippers.
It is a great option for people wanting to upgrade to an automated tool over manual clippers. This corded hedge trimmer can get the job done in less than half the time with minimal efforts.
2. Best corded electric hedge trimmer – Greenworks 2200102 [22 inch 4 amp]
The Greenworks 22 inch, 4 amp corded hedge trimmer will eat up your unruly overgrown hedges in no time at all. Its powerful 4 Amp motor gets the job done efficiently and the 22 inch dual action steel blades deliver high performance with optimal precision and maneuverability. The blades slice through 9/16 inch thick branches easily making it a versatile investment for efficient lawn maintenance.
This corded electric hedge trimmer is a lightweight tool weighing in at just 7 lbs and its compact design makes for easy handling and ultimate user comfort. It also comes with a convenient cord lock system that prevents accidental unplugging and reduces the downtime associated with it.Check Price in Amazon
- Best corded hedge trimmer with unlimited runtime with powerful 4 Amp motor.
- Inexpensive and low maintenance tool without the hassle of gas and harmful fumes.
- Environment friendly and reliable.
- Easy to maneuver ergonomic and compact design.
- 22-inch dual action blades cut with minimal vibration.
- Lightweight design offers ultimate user comfort.
- Cord lock system prevents accidental unplugging of the device at multiple cutting angles.
- Cuts branches upto 9/16 inches thick.
- Does not have a lock on switch for continual running.
This is one of the best rated electric hedge trimmer out there and it comes backed by a 4-year warranty like all other Greenworks power tools.
Best corded electric hedge trimmer for anyone looking for a high precision powerful performance with minimal maintenance and least efforts. It is an inexpensive and convenient tool to invest in if you are new to corded electric power tools.
3. Best rated electric hedge trimmer – Toro 51490 [22 inch 4 amp]
The Toro corded electric hedge trimmer is light and sharp. This hedge trimmer is for you if you have hedge that are half an inch to about three quarters of an inch thick. The powerful 4 Amp motor and 22 inch hardened steel blades slice through hedges upto 9/16 inch thick like knife through butter and get the job one neatly and quickly. Dual action cutting system of this corded hedge trimmer reduces vibration and prevents user fatigue.
This electric hedge trimmer comes with work grip front and rear handles that ergonomically balance the weight of the tool and make it very comfortable to handle. Cord lock system prevents accidental unplugging of the cord due to tugging and pulling while cutting at various angles.Check Price in Amazon
- Lightweight corded hedge trimmer weighing in at just 6.1 lbs.
- Ergonomic work grip handles evenly distribute the weight of the tool while being operated.
- Cord lock system prevents accidental unplugging and disruptive disconnects.
- Corded design renders unlimited runtime to the power tool.
- Powerful 4 Amp motor.
- 22 inch hardened steel blades chop up hedges about 9/11 thick.
- Dual action cutting system reduces vibration – preventing user fatigue.
- Comes backed by a full 2-year warranty.
- Recommended for light duty cutting work for hedges upto 9/16 inches thick only.
This lightweight electric hedge trimmer makes easy work of transforming your hedges from messy and overgrown to perfectly trimmed and tidy. It will make your perfectly manicured lawn an object of neighbours’ envy!
This corded small electric hedge trimmer is best suited for people with lawns that require light to medium duty hedging from time to time. Perfect for anyone looking for an upgrade from the old manual clippers to something automatic that gets the job done in less than half the time and efforts.
4. Best lightweight electric hedge trimmer – Scotts Outdoor Power Tools HT10020S [20 inch 3.2 amp]
Once you use the Scotts Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer to chop the unruly hedges ruining your landscaping, there is no way you can go back to your old manual clippers or heavy and fussy gas-powered hedge trimmers. This is the best small electric hedge trimmer that is light yet rugged with its powerful 3.2 Amp motor coupled with 20-inch dual action hardened steel blades easily tackle branches as thick as 5/8 inch.
Its ultimate trimming performance with 3400 strokes per minute cutting speed lets you cut faster and cleaner. Comfortable molded handle with wrap around grip and full-length trigger ensure ease of handling with minimal user fatigue.Check Price in Amazon
- 20-inch dual action hardened steel blades with aluminum blade support deliver superior cutting performance.
- Protective blade cover ensures safe storage of the tool when not in use.
- Corded plug-in operation – An inexpensive and eco-friendly alternative to gas powered hedge trimmers.
- Built-in cord retention keeps cord secure and avoids accidental unplugging at various cutting angles.
- Powerful 3.2 Amp motor easily slices through branches as thick as 5/8 inch.
- Best lightweight electric hedge trimmer weighing just 5.1 lbs.
- Easy to engage full-length trigger on the rear handle keeps the tool continually running during operation.
- Ergonomic rubber molded handle ensures ultimate user comfort.
- Not suited for heavy duty trimming work.
The Scotts electric hedge trimmer comes backed by a 3-year warranty to protect your investment.
This corded electric hedge trimmer reviews as a good option for anyone looking for a trimmer for light to medium duty trimming jobs. Lightweight design of this trimmer makes it easy to handle even for senior users.
5. Best long reach electric hedge trimmer – Earthwise CVPH43018 [18 inch 4.5 amp]
The Earthwise 2-in-1 convertible pole hedge trimmer is a dream purchase worth every single penny for anyone who has both short and tall hedged that need maintenance around their yard. This corded electric hedge trimmer easily converts from a hand held hedge trimmer to a pole hedge trimmer with a maximum length of 8 feet 8 inches, effectively providing upto 13 feet overhead reach for those tough spots that would otherwise be out of reach.
This long reach electric hedge trimmer comes with a pole attachment that is equipped with a pivoting head with 6 cutting angle settings for precise trimming. The 18-inch dual action blades come with a protective sheath for safe storage and easily slice through branches as thick as 11/16 inch.Check Price in Amazon
- Powerful 4.5 Amp motor and pole attachment makes easy work out of tall, tough to reach hedges.
- This long handle electric hedge trimmer comes with a convenient shoulder strap for comfortable cutting experience.
- Corded long reach electric hedge trimmer starts instantly and requires no gas and no maintenance.
- Easily converts from a hand held hedge trimmer to a pole hedge trimmer within seconds.
- 2-in-1 hedge trimmer for DIY homeowners saves money with two tools for the price of one.
- Heavy-duty electric hedge trimmer with 6 adjustable cutting angles makes for precise trimming.
- This trimmer eliminates the need for dangerous ladders and prevents tripping accidents.
- 8 foot 8 inches long pole attachment effectively provides upto 13 feet overhead reach.
- The whole unit when used with the pole fully extended tends to get top heavy.
The Earthwise 2-in-1 hedge trimmer as the smart no gas, no fumes eco-friendly choice for manicuring of the hard to reach tall hedges.
This is a great choice for people used to using the relatively heavier gas-powered power tools in their yards. With its long reach, getting that perfect trim on those high hedges will become easier than ever.
6. Best electric telescoping pole hedge Trimmer – Sun Joe SJH902E [21inch 4 amp]
The Sun Joe SJH902E Corded Electric hedge trimmer gets the overhead hedges trimmed in half the time and twice the efficiency. The telescopic pole extends upto 7.9 feet providing an effective 13 feet overhead reach and maximizes your reach by minimizing your movement. The durable 21-inch dual action hardened steel blades slice through 0.7 inches thick branches like knife through butter for perfectly sheared shrubs with clean edges.
This is one of the best built long reach electric hedge trimmer available out there. Its powerful 4 Amp motor and multi angle pivoting head allows you to reach and trim those tough to reach tall bushes and hedges while the shoulder strap and ergonomic handle make the tool easy to handle and operate.Check Price in Amazon
- Telescopic pole extends upto 7.9 feet – ideal for cutting tall bushes, hedges and shrubs.
- Best electric hedge trimmer with 21-inch dual action blades that cut branches upto 0.7 inch thick.
- Instant start and safety switch features make it safe and convenient to use.
- Powerful 4 Amp motor and multi angle pivoting head.
- Long reach electric hedge trimmer easily trims tough to reach tall hedges without using ladders.
- Extendable telescopic pole provides an effective 13 feet overhead reach.
- Hardened steel blades add to the longevity of the tool.
- Comes with a full 2-year warranty.
This long handle electric hedge trimmer is a bit heavy and can wear out the user quickly.
The Sun Joe SHJ902E is truly a cut above! It will let you ditch the precarious ladders and shape up the tall shrubs from the safety of solid ground.
Perfect for seasoned power tool users. This corded hedge trimmer is heavy and a little bit tedious to operate. But then that is the case with all long reach trimmers, if they get the job done, they are going to be top heavy. That’s physics!
7. Best Rotating Handle electric hedge trimmer – BLACK+DECKER HH2455 [24 inch 3.3 amp]
The Black+Decker HedgeHog hedge trimmer is arguably the best electric hedge trimmer available at such an amazing price point. The powerful 3.3 Amp innovative inline motor delivers precise trimming and the 24 inch dual action hardened steel shearing blades easily slice through branches 3/4 inch thick with 40% less vibration. This long reach electric hedge trimmer provides extended reach and even cutting, making it especially useful on taller and wider hedge growth.
However, the feature that stand out in this Black+Decker electric hedge trimmer is its 180 degrees rotating rear handle with five optional stops that provide added comfort while cutting vertically or sculpting. It comes with a lock-off switch that prevents accidental starting, a lock-on switch for continuous running and a cord retention system to avoid accidental unplugging.Check Price in Amazon
- Lightweight design – Weighing in at just 6.5 lbs.
- Ergonomic body design distributes weight evenly for improved user control.
- Powerful 3.3 Amp motor comes with gear reduction adds to the durability.
- 40% reduced vibration and full wrap bale handle with soft rubber grip for added comfort.
- 24-inch dual action pre-hardened steel blades cut branches as thick as 3/4 inch.
- Rotating rear handle with five optional stop positions for comfortable vertical cutting and sculpting.
- Lock-off switch – prevents accidental starting, lock-on switch – for continuous running.
- Cord retention system – prevents accidental unplugging.
- 2800 cutting strokes per minute result in faster cutting.
The trimmer will slow down if used on branches thicker than the recommended 3/4 inch.
The Black+Decker corded hedge trimmer is backed by a 2-year warranty.
An amazing and powerful trimmer that is best as both an upgrade over manual clippers and a replacement for worn out gas-powered hedge trimmers.
8. Pole and Portable electric hedge trimmer – GARCARE [20 inch 4.8 amp]
This revolutionary electric hedge trimmer from Garcare will eat up your tall hedges like a champ. Its 2-in-1 design makes it a reliable tool for all your working requirements. Its powerful 4.8 Amp motor lends it a 3/4 inch cutting capacity and the 20 inch hardened steel, rust resistant, laser cut blades provide clean and quick cuts. It comes with a 6-positions pivoting head and 5-positions rotary handle that allows cutting at various angles.
But the stand out feature on this long reach electric hedge trimmer is the aluminum telescopic tube, which extends upto 9 feet and delivers precise cutting performance even at the tough to reach areas.Check Price in Amazon
- 4.8 Amp powerful motor and 3/4 inch cutting capacity.
- 20 inch hardened steel, laser cut blades that are rust resistant and extremely sharp.
- Aluminum telescopic pole extendable to 9 feet.
- 6-positions pivoting head and 5-potion rotary handle for easy cutting at multiple angles.
- Soft rubber grips in front and rear handle absorb vibration and provide comfort
- Comes with a removable shoulder strap and removable auxiliary handle that help distribute the weight of the tool evenly.
- A protective blade cover makes for safe storage of the tool.
- Cord lock system prevents accidental unplugging due to tugging and pulling of the cord while in use.
- Slightly on the heavier side of the spectrum when operated at fully extended length.
The convertible design will save you a lot of your hard-earned money on garden maintenance.
As pointed out by many reviewers, this power tool heavier than what you might be used to, but it does the job that it is meant to do. It is a heavy-duty corded electric hedge hammer and it handles the toughest cutting jobs with remarkable ease.
Best electric hedge trimmer buying guide
Our detailed reviews of all the best corded electric hedge trimmers available in the market are sure to help you zero down on the hedge trimmer that is perfect for you. However, we recommend you take the following buying guide pointers into consideration before finalizing and purchasing a trimmer:
First and foremost, it is important you decide a budget bracket that you are comfortable spending on the corded hedge trimmers. With so many different brands coming up with so many different power tools with a lot of innovative features in all kinds of budgets, it is important to not get carried away and ending up spending a fortune on features that might not even be useful for you.
Whether you are looking for an automated update over your old and rusty manual clippers or just looking for a more eco-friendly choice over your old gas powered trimmers will greatly affect your choice of corded electric hedge trimmer.
Before you get any further into the buying process, it is important to figure out what kind of hedges grow in your yard. That will help you figure out the average thickness of the hedges and the frequency of trimming required to keep it all neatly manicured.
Height of the hedges
In order for you to be able to decide whether you need pole hedge trimmers or hand held hedge trimmers or the 2-in-1 design trimmer that can be converted from pole to hand held and vice versa, you need to know how tall the hedges in your yard grow.
For example, buying a 2-in-1 pole hedge just because it has impressive features will be a poor investment decision if the hedges in your yard do not grow taller than 4-5 feet.
Your previous experience with power tools
If you are a seasoned power tools user, you might be comfortable using any complex equipment with ease. However, if this is your first time venturing into the world of power tools, you might want something that is simple to operate and gets the job done with minimal efforts.
In addition, it is advisable to consider the weight of the tools and see if you will be able to wield the tools for prolonged periods comfortably or not.
How far is the power source?
It is important to figure out how far is a reliable power source from the area that you will be trimming. This information will help you in buying a cord that is suitably long so that you do not have to tug at it while working your way around the hedges.
A few frequently asked questions
Question: Are corded electric hedge trimmers sold with extension cords?
Answer: No. The corded electric hedge trimmers are sold as tool only and you will have to purchase the extension cords separately.
You will need to take into consideration the facts such as distance of power source from the hedges in your yard, kind of power plug at the power source – male or female. You shall also need to consider the supported load rating and working frequency before you purchase the extension cord for your corded electric hedge trimmer.
Question: Do I need to oil the blades on my corded electric hedge trimmer?
Answer: While the corded electric hedge trimmers do not require constant lubrication of the blades while in operation unlike the chainsaws, it is highly recommended that you oil the blades as a post cutting maintenance ritual. This will prevent the blades from getting dull and increase the durability and longevity of the tool.
However, you should remember that whichever oil you use to oil your blades, it would end up on your hedges. It is important therefore that you use something natural that does not mess with the health of the hedges and does not stunt their growth.
Blunt blades damage the branches by crushing them. Well-oiled blades stay sharp for longer durations and deliver clean cuts, thereby promoting plant health.
Question: Can I use my corded electric hedge trimmers to trim the branches while they are wet?
Answer: As a general rule, please remember that water and electricity is not a great combination. While all the latest generation power tools comply with high safety standards, it is not advisable to put yourself at unnecessary risk. Therefore, we recommend you to not use the corded electric trimmers to trim freshly watered or wet hedges to prevent any unfortunate accidents.
Question: Can I sharpen the blades on my corded electric hedge trimmers?
Answer: You do not need to discard your power tools if the blades on them become blunt. Like any other blades, the blades on your corded electric hedge trimmers can also be sharpened when they get blunt over a period of time.
Almost all the hardware shops provide this service for a charge or if you are not willing to pay a professional to sharpen your blades, there are tools available the market that you can use to sharpen the blades yourself in your garage.
Question: Are dual action blades better than single action ones?
Answer: Dual Action blades cut on both sides and do so with reduced vibration. You can get clean and even cuts with dual action blades in a single swipe while a single action blade will cut only one side. Understandably so then, the dual action blades will minimize the time and efforts required to trim your hedges into half.
Question: What will happen if I trim hedges that are thicker than the rated branch thickness for my trimmer?
Answer: The recommended cutting capacities of the electric trimmers are tested by the Companies to be safe for the machine. It depends on a lot of factors such as blade length, motor power etc. When you try to trim branches that are thicker than the recommended thickness, you might push the tool too hard and end up damaging the blades and overheating the motor.
Honestly, the repercussions of it can prove to cost you more money than the trimmer itself and it is therefore recommended to purchase a high cutting capacity rated tool in the first place than to use a tool to cut above its rated cutting capacity.
Corded electric hedge trimmers work like magic with unlimited run time and minimal maintenance requirements. They are a fuss free choice over gas-powered tools since there is no need to mix gas and subject yourself to harmful emissions and are better for the environment. Electric hedge trimmers are also easy to start as they start instantly with just a push of button unlike gas-powered trimmers that take a lot of effort and forever to start.
If you are used to using manual clippers, agonising over spending hours snipping at the hedges, an upgrade to automatic best electric hedge trimmer will prove to be a boon for you and you will be able to get twice as much work some in half the time.
So go ahead and make that perfectly manicured dream lawn a reality!
Leave a Reply