The best pole hedge trimmer will pay for itself many times over the years of usage by saving your hard-earned money that you would otherwise pay a professional for doing a job that you can DIY!
Your garden is a result of hard work and meticulous care that you put into growing and maintaining it. Handling unruly and overgrown tall hedges is a daunting task if you do not own a pole hedge trimmer.
With a powerful, professional grade pole hedge trimmer at your disposal, you can ditch the dangerous ladder and trim the tall hedges from the safety of solid ground.
Here’s our review of the best pole hedge trimmers available at the moment:
- Best pole hedge trimmer [Update list 2020]
- 1. Best long pole hedge trimmer – Earthwise CVPH43018 [Corded 4.5 Amp, 18 inch]
- 2. Best electric pole hedge trimmer – Sun Joe SJH902E [21-inch 4-Amp]
- 3. Best cordless pole hedge trimmer – BLACK+DECKER LPHT120 [20V max, 18 inch]
- 4. Best telescoping pole hedge trimmer – WORX WG252.9 [20V 20 inch]
- 5. Best 80 volt pole hedge trimmer Greenworks PH80B210 [20 inch 80V]
- 6. Best Greenworks pole hedge trimmer – Greenworks 22272 [20-inch 40v cordless]
- 7. Best electric telescoping pole hedge trimmer – Sun Joe SJH904E [19 inch 4.5 -Amp]
- 8. Greenworks HT-180-XR 18-Inch 40V Cordless Pole Hedger
- 9. Terrific Trimmer! GARCARE – Best Multi-Angle Electric Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer [Corded 4.8-Amp, 20 inch]
- Best pole hedge trimmer buying guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best pole hedge trimmer [Update list 2020]
1. Best long pole hedge trimmer – Earthwise CVPH43018 [Corded 4.5 Amp, 18 inch]
Best long pole hedge trimmer for occasional hedge trimming – regular and high. It is perfect for light to medium duty trimming jobs around the yard and is doubly useful for its 2-in-1 design that lets you use it both ways – with extended pole as well as handheld trimmer.
No more fussing with gas and worrying about the battery dying mid work. The Earthwise CVPH43018 2-in-1 convertible pole hedge trimmer is the ideal choice for anyone that has both tall and regular hedges in their yard.Check Price in Amazon
This 2-in-1 long pole hedge trimmer easily converts from a handheld trimmer to an 8.8 feet pole hedge trimmer within seconds and provides an overhead reach of about 13 feet. The pole attachment also comes equipped with a pivoting head with 5-angle setting for precise trimming.
It’s powerful 4.5 Amp motor starts instantly, coupled with 18 inch cutting blades, it provides clean and quick cutting of branches upto 0.68 inch thick. This electric pole hedge trimmer also comes with a shoulder strap for added support and comfort.
- Protective blade cover for safe storage.
- 2-in-1 design – extended pole hedge trimmer as well as handheld hedge trimmer – saves money.
- 18-inch durable blades provide superior cutting performance.
- Maximum cutting capacity of 0.68-inch thick branches.
- Innovative pivoting head with 5-angle setting for precise multi angle cutting.
- 8.8 feet pole attachment provides an overhead reach of upto 13 feet.
- Powerful 4.5 Amp motor starts instantly and delivers great trimming performance.
- Convenient shoulder strap provides additional comfort during operation.
- Less suited for heavy-duty regular trimming.
This is the best electric pole hedge trimmer for the do-it-yourself homeowners to save money with two tools in one.
Cordless version – Earthwise LPHT12022 Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer [Volt 20, 20 inch] 2.0AH Battery & Fast Charger Included
2. Best electric pole hedge trimmer – Sun Joe SJH902E [21-inch 4-Amp]
The Sun Joe SJH902E electric telescoping pole hedge trimmer gets the overhead hedges trimmed in half the time and twice the efficiency. The telescopic pole extends upto 7.9 feet providing an effective 13 feet overhead reach. With its powerful 4 Amp motor and multi angle pivoting head, it allows you to reach over and under the tall hedges for controlled and precise cutting.Check Price in Amazon
Long pole hedge trimmer with durable 21-inch dual action hardened steel blade that slices through 0.7 inches thick branches like knife through butter for perfectly sheared shrubs with clean edges.
- Telescoping pole hedge trimmer extends upto 7.9 feet.
- Extendable telescopic pole provides an effective 13 feet overhead reach – Maximum reach with minimum movement.
- Hardened steel and rust resistant blades add to the longevity of the tool.
- Powerful 4 Amp motor and multi angle pivoting head.
- Shoulder strap and ergonomic handle make the tool easy to handle and operate.
- Best pole hedge trimmer with 21-inch dual action blades that cut branches upto 0.7 inch thick.
- Instant start and safety switch features make it safe and convenient to use.
- Comes with a full 2-year warranty.
- This pole hedge trimmer is top heavy and can wear out the user quickly.
The Sun Joe SHJ902E is truly a cut above! It will let you ditch the precarious ladders and shape up the tall shrubs from the safety of solid ground.
Perfect for seasoned power tool users. This electric pole hedge trimmer is heavy and a little bit tedious to operate. But then that is the case with any and all long reach trimmers, if they get the job done, they are going to be top heavy.
3. Best cordless pole hedge trimmer – BLACK+DECKER LPHT120 [20V max, 18 inch]
If you are looking for a cordless pole hedge trimmer for trimming shrubs at a height, the Black+Decker pole hedge trimmer is meant just for you! With a usable length of 6.5 feet, you can use this pole hedge trimmer to effectively trim shrubs and hedges at a height of 10 feet. The 18-inch dual action blades cut branches upto 0.5 inch thick with 40% less vibration.Check Price in Amazon
It is arguably the best long pole hedge trimmer at this price point. Weighing in at just 7.7 lbs, its lightweight design is ideal for clipping tall hedges and hard-to-reach areas with surprising precision. It also features a 180 degree, 5 position pivoting head that lets you trim comfortably in multiple cutting angles with precise, clean results.
- 18-inch dual action blades cut upto 0.5-inch thick branches with ease and 40% less vibration.
- 20V Max Lithium Ion battery on this trimmer has a longer lifespan and hold charge 5X longer.
- Lightweight design with the trimmer weighing in at just 7.7 lbs.
- Innovative 180 degree, 5-position pivoting head
- Reduced vibration means reduced operator fatigue.
- 20V Max Lithium Ion battery is compatible across the full line of Black+Decker’s 20V Max power tools.
- Comes with the battery kit – 20V Max Lithium Ion battery and Smart Charger.
- Pivoting head for clean and precise cutting at multiple cutting angles.
- Not the best choice for heavy-duty high hedge trimming – best suited for low to medium duty trimming.
This pole hedge trimmer also comes with a 2 year limited warranty.
This is one of the best cordless pole hedge trimmers available in the market – an ideal choice for anyone looking for a convenient to use trimmer for trimming the shrubs and hedges at a height. Lightweight and easy to hoist high, provides cleaner and precise cuts.
4. Best telescoping pole hedge trimmer – WORX WG252.9 [20V 20 inch]
The Worx WG252.9 20V hedge trimmer is an electric telescoping pole hedge trimmer that will let you put those dangerous ladders back in the garage. Its telescoping shaft provides you a 12 feet reach so that you can achieve clean fat tops, even on your tallest shrubs.
Its 20 inch hardened steel dual action blades slice through everything twice ensuring tidy flat edges with considerably reduced vibration. This is a lightweight pole hedge trimmer – weighing in at just 7.6 lbs – making it comfortable enough to hold high for as long as you need to.Check Price in Amazon
This cordless pole hedge trimmer also comes with innovative 10-position adjustable head attachment and 180 degree rotating rear handle for the most versatile multi angle cutting and trimming of branches as thick as 0.62 inch.
- Best cordless pole hedge trimmer with a powerful 20V Max Power Share Battery.
- The telescopic shaft provides an effective reach of 12 feet.
- 20-inch dual action hardened steel blades – for cleaner cuts and reduced vibration.
- Comes with a protective blade sheath for safe storage.
- The 20V Max Power Share battery is compatible with the full line of 20V Max Power Share tools from Worx.
- Best long pole hedge trimmer with 10-position adjustable head and 180 degree rotating rear handle.
- The 20-inch dual action blades cut branches as thick as 0.62 inches thick.
- Lightweight and ergonomic design for balanced weight distribution across the tool.
- The battery kit – battery and charger – are sold separately. However, the batteries are interchangeable across all 20V Power Share line of power tool from Worx.
This telescoping pole hedge trimmer is easy and comfortable to use for long periods of time. The reduced vibration and lightweight design lead to less user fatigue. Also well suited for senior users or beginners with no prior power tool using experience.
5. Best 80 volt pole hedge trimmer Greenworks PH80B210 [20 inch 80V]
The Greenworks 20 inch 80V cordless pole hedge trimmer is one of the most powerful pole hedge trimmers – equally or more powerful than a gas powered counterpart. The beastly 80V 2Ah Lithium Ion battery on this trimmer comes with a Rapid Charger that charges the battery in just 30 minutes.Check Price in Amazon
With the 20 inch dual action blade, this pole hedge trimmer easily cuts branches as thick as 0.75 inch and the innovative 7-position pivoting head adjusts the blade for trimming at various angles. This is arguably the best long pole hedge trimmer out there with a hoard of innovative features that make the most labour intensive yard chore a breeze.
- 20-inch Dual Action blades easily cut through branches as thick as 0.75 inch.
- 80V 2Ah battery can be interchangeably used with other Greenworks 80V Max range of power tools.
- Cuts upto 350 yards of hedges on a single charge.
- Rapid Charger charges the battery in just 30 minutes.
- 7-Position pivoting head for hassle free trimming at various angles.
- 80V 2Ah Lithium Ion battery for powerful cutting performance.
- Cushioned Overmold grip for comfortable cutting experience and reduced user fatigue.
- Provides a total length of 8.5 feet, which effectively gives an overhead reach of around 12 feet.
- Slightly on the heavier side, meant for heavy-duty cutting jobs.
- It is placed on the pricier side of the spectrum.
And there is more! When you purchase this cordless pole hedge trimmer, a 4-year tool warranty and a 2-year battery warranty protects your investment.
It is the best cordless pole hedge trimmer for anyone looking for a tool to get some serious hedge trimming done in their yard. This electric pole hedge trimmer is ideal for heavy-duty cutting jobs and is recommended for people with previous experience with using power tools in their yards.
6. Best Greenworks pole hedge trimmer – Greenworks 22272 [20-inch 40v cordless]
If you are a homeowner, looking for quick, fuss free lawn maintenance, and perfectly manicured tall hedges in their outdoor space, the Greenworks 20-inch 40v cordless pole hedge trimmer is just the right tool for you!
This long pole hedge trimmer comes with a powerful 40V battery that delivers over 30 minutes of runtime and works with more than 40 other power tools from the Greenworks 40V Max range of power tools.Check Price in Amazon
The Greenworks pole hedge trimmer extends upto 6.5 feet and provides an overhead reach of upto 12 feet that lets you trim those high hedges without using the ladders. It comes with 20-inch dual action blades that deliver optimal performance with durability and a 0.62-inch cutting capacity. This cordless pole hedge trimmer also features a 3 position pivoting head that adjusts blades for comfortable usage at various angles.
- Powerful 40V battery provides upto 350 yards of battery runtime.
- Best suited for homeowners with 1/2 acre yards.
- 20-inch dual action blades for superior cutting and longevity of the tool.
- Easily slices through branches 0.62 inches thick.
- 3 positions pivoting head for ease of cutting at various angles.
- Extends upto 6.5 feet for an overhead reach of upto 12 feet.
- Lightweight and maneuverable design – weighs in at just 9.6 lbs.
- Single charge provides over 30 minutes of powerful runtime.
- The extendable shaft on this long pole hedge trimmer could be sturdier.
This is one of the best pole hedge trimmers in the market that has almost no negative reviews. It quietly gets the job done and is perfect for homeowners with yards that have tall hedges.
7. Best electric telescoping pole hedge trimmer – Sun Joe SJH904E [19 inch 4.5 -Amp]
The Sun Joe SJH904E is a 2-in1 electric telescoping pole hedge trimmer, which can be converted to a handheld hedge trimmer in seconds and eats through branches as thick as 0.7 inch without any difficulty.
The 19-inch dual action hardened steel blades on this long pole hedge trimmer deliver efficient cutting with upto 40% less vibration. Even with such immense power, this pole hedge trimmer is lightweight – weighing in at just 6.2 lbs (handheld) and 9.5 lbs (with pole attachment).Check Price in Amazon
Its telescopic pole adjusts from 3.8 feet to 5.9 feet effectively providing upto 13 feet of overhead reach. The powerful 4.5 Amp motor and multi angle pivoting head on this electric pole hedge trimmer allows for precise trimming of tall hedges.
- Powerful 4.5 Amp motor and 19-inch dual action hardened steel blades.
- Cutting capacity of upto 0.7-inch thick branches.
- Adjustable telescopic pole provides an effective overhead reach of 13 feet.
- This pole hedge trimmer comes equipped with built-in dual handle safety switch that prevents accidental starts.
- 2-in-1 design – converts from pole hedge trimmer to handheld hedge trimmer in seconds.
- Comes with a protective sheath for safe storage when not in use.
- Multi-angle pivoting head allows for precise trimming.
- Backed by a full 2-year warranty for worry free operation.
- The fully extended equipment proves to be heavier for some people. It is recommended that this point be considered before buying the trimmer.
This is the best telescoping pole hedge trimmer for anyone looking to get medium to heavy duty trimming work done on the tall hedges in their yard. Since it is an extendable pole hedge trimmer, the weight and cutting operation of it can take some getting used to. It definitely gets the job that is designed for done – quickly and efficiently!
8. Greenworks HT-180-XR 18-Inch 40V Cordless Pole Hedger
If you are a homeowner that has tall hedges in their 1/2 acre yard, the Greenworks pole hedge trimmer will be one of the most useful purchases you will ever make for lawn maintenance. The 18-inch dual action blades are laser cut for superior cutting and extended durability. They deliver precise clean cuts on branches as thick as 0.62 inch.Check Price in Amazon
The powerful 40V battery provides a runtime of over 60 minutes and can be interchangeably used with over 50 lawn maintenance products from the 40V Max range of power tools. The innovative 7-position pivoting head on this long pole hedge trimmer and an overhead reach of over 9.5 feet with extendable aluminium shaft lets you trim all the tall hedges from the solid safety of the ground.
- Upto 3200 cutting strokes per minute.
- Smooth operation with less noise.
- Lightweight design – Weighing in at just 8.4 lbs.
- 18-inch dual action laser cut blades for superior cutting.
- 40V powerful battery can be interchangeably used with other power tools from the 40V Max range.
- Over 60 minutes runtime with 3200 cutting strokes per minute.
- 9.5 feet extendable aluminium shaft – with 2 piece design for compact storage.
- Innovative 7-position pivoting head for easy multi angle cutting.
- The extendable aluminium shaft on this cordless pole hedge trimmer could have been sturdier
The stand out feature that makes it one of the best pole hedge trimmer is the integrated USB port in the battery that lets you charge all portable devices. This is a feature that none of the counterparts offer.
This is the best cordless pole hedge trimmer for the DIY homeowners looking for perfectly manicured tall hedges in their yards. This Greenworks pole hedge trimmer gets the job done quickly, efficiently and quietly.
9. Terrific Trimmer! GARCARE – Best Multi-Angle Electric Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer [Corded 4.8-Amp, 20 inch]
This revolutionary electric hedge trimmer from Garcare will eat up all your tall hedges like a champ without having to use a ladder. Its aluminium telescopic tubes extends upto 9.2 feet providing an overhead reach of upto 12 feet and easily gets the job done on those hard to reach areas.
Its 6-positions pivoting head allows you to trim comfortably at a variety of angles and its powerful 4.8 Amp motor lends it a 3/4 inch cutting capacity. The 20 inch hardened steel, rust resistant, laser cut blades counter rotate and provide a dual edge cutting with minimum vibration to deliver clean and quick cuts.Check Price in Amazon
This pole hedge trimmer is ergonomically designed with soft rubber grips on the handle and optimum and even distribution of weight (10.85 lbs) across the tool.
- 4.8 Amp powerful motor and 3/4 inch cutting capacity.
- 20-inch laser cutting blade with diamond grinded cutting teeth are extremely sharp.
- Aluminium telescopic pole extendable to 9.2 feet.
- 6-positions pivoting head and 5-potion rotary handle for easy cutting at multiple angles.
- Soft rubber grips in front absorb vibration and provide comfort
- Comes with a removable shoulder strap and blade cover for safe storage.
- Ergonomically designed for even and optimum distribution of weight across the tool.
- Cord lock system prevents accidental unplugging due to tugging and pulling of the cord while in use.
- Slightly on the heavier side of the spectrum when operated at fully extended length.
As pointed out by many reviewers, this power tool heavier than what you might be used to, but it does the job that it is meant to do. It is a heavy-duty corded electric hedge trimmer and it handles the toughest cutting jobs with remarkable ease.
Best pole hedge trimmer buying guide
Our reviews of the top pole hedge trimmers available at the moment will surely help you shortlist a few products that you like. However, we do not recommend an impulse buying decision and suggest you to go through our concise buying guide to further understand your needs and decide on a pole hedge trimmer best suited to your specific requirements.
How tall are the tall hedges in your yard?
At the onset, you should determine what kind of hedges grow in your yard and how tall the hedges will grow. This will help you in deciding whether you need a hedge trimmer with a telescopic pole or a fixed length extension will work just fine for you.
Do you need a convertible pole hedge trimmer?
A convertible 2-in-1 pole hedge trimmer will give you the liberty of using it both ways – as a handheld trimmer as well as an extendible pole hedge trimmer. But if you already own a regular handheld trimmer, buying a 2-in-1 pole hedge trimmer will serve you no purpose.
How far is the power source situated?
Based on the distance of the power source, you will be able to determine whether you can use a corded pole hedge trimmer around the yard or you need to go cordless and purchase a battery powered pole hedge trimmer.
Which power source suits your needs the best?
While you contemplate the pointer number 3, you might also want to take into consideration which power source will be best suited for your requirements.
For example, battery powered pole hedge trimmers are comparatively heavier than corded electric pole hedge trimmers. Based on the cutting capacity required for your hedges and your own experience with handling the power tools, you must arrive at the best-suited power source for you.
Once you have arrived at the best-suited power source for your requirements, you will have to decide on a price band. There are a number of options to choose from, whatever may be your budget. Also an important thing to consider while you decide on a budget is whether the brand or the model that you are looking at comes with a warranty to protect your investment or not.
Do you own any other battery operated power tool?
This is important to consider because of the growing trend of power share platforms wherein you can interchangeably use the batteries between different tools from the same range. So, if you already own a battery powered power tool, buying a pole hedge trimmer from the same brand will make better sense than going for a different brand and ending up spending a fortune on different kinds of batteries.
In addition, this way you can have more than one battery for each of your tools. While you work with one, you can have the other one charged and ready to use!
What is the average thickness of the hedges that grow in your yard?
Determining this will help you in deciding the motor power and resultant cutting capacity that will be required for trimming your hedges.
As a general fact, it is important to consider that pole hedge trimmers are inherently heavier than any handheld devices. That is by design. Any tool will feel much heavier when it is placed on an extended pole. However, certain features on the pole hedge trimmers make it more convenient to use despite the weight.
For example, look for models that come with a shoulder strap. Or a model that had two handles – front and rear for better grip.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1. What is a pole hedge trimmer?
Answer: A pole hedge trimmer is a hedge trimmer with an extendable pole attachment that allows you to tend to the tall hedges and shrubbery in your yard without having to resort to using a ladder.
Using ladders to perform trimming and maintenance jobs on your tall hedges can be cumbersome and not to mention hazardous. Pole hedge trimmers provide you with the liberty to perform these tasks while having your feet firmly on the ground.
Question 2. What are the kinds of pole hedge trimmer that are available in the market?
Answer: There are two types of pole hedges trimmers that you can purchase. A pole hedge trimmer with a telescopic pole – meaning that the pole can be extended to different lengths and a pole hedge trimmer with a fixed length pole attachment – meaning that the pole attachment that comes with the trimmer is of a fixed length.
Depending upon the kind of hedges that grow in your yard, you can choose the one that suites you the best.
Question 3. What can I do with a pole hedge trimmer?
Answer: Initially, you can use the trimmer to give your plants the shape that you want them to grow into and once your hedges have been shaped properly, you can use the trimmer to trim the edges frequently so as to maintain the shape.
Question 4. What happens when a pole hedge trimmer is used to cut branches that are thicker than the cutting capacity of the trimmer?
Answer: Each hedge trimmer is tested for the cutting capacity and is rated accordingly. Therefore, if you try to cut branches that are thicker, you will end up with uneven cuts that are bad for the plant health, the blades could get stuck, motor might overheat and worst, the hedge trimmer could stop working altogether.
Question 5. Do the blades of hedge trimmers need to be lubricated?
Answer: Generally speaking – No. Unlike chainsaws, hedge trimmers do not require continuous lubrication while in operation. But as a post trimming clean up ritual, it is advisable to oil the blades to keep the sharpness intact.
A neat little trick is to also disinfect the blades with an alcohol-based disinfectant, this will help you avoid the spread of any plant diseases from one to others.
Question 6. How do I choose blades that are best suited for my requirement?
Answer: You should look at the material used for the blades. Hardened steel blades are the most durable blades that are suitable for all kinds of cutting and trimming jobs.
Additionally, laser cut and diamond ground blades blades remain sharp for longer durations but the model that feature them also cost more.
With the combined knowledge from our reviews, the buying guide and the FAQs, you can now make an informed choice and set out to achieve that perfectly trimmed and sculpted lawn that you always dreamed of!